I've moved!

***Click here to visit Kim Fielding's Website***

New blog posts will appear on the new site, but I've also added a feed right below this message.

Kim Fielding Writes » Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Please welcome Skylar M. Cates

Skylar M. Cates is visiting today to talk about her secrets and her upcoming release.


 

10 miscellaneous questions for Skylar:

 

1.       Your favorite meal?

It depends. For fun, I like to eat Thai or Japanese. If I am in a bad mood, I like comfort food like pasta and pie.  

2.       Last book you read and liked?

Tell The Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt. It’s about a young girl and her beloved uncle, and it’s set in the time of the 80’s AIDS epidemic.

3.       If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

I’d like to be able to heal people. Taking away somebody else’s pain would be amazing. If I could heal myself too, I would be a lot less afraid of pain and violence.

4.       What is your biggest writing challenge?

Getting my ass in the chair.  Seriously though, I think the bigger problem is allowing myself the time to write and refusing to feel guilty about it. There are always other people wanting my attention like my kids or my husband, and sometimes going off to write can feel incredibly selfish, especially before I was published. I have to give myself permission to make writing a priority.

5.       Pet peeve?

Rude drivers. Grudge-holders. Toxic relatives.

 

6.       Favorite part of writing?

I love when a new character comes into my brain and refuses to leave. I love shaping his or her story.

7.       Least favorite part?

Sending my “baby” out into the cruel world.  I love to revise. I’m a tweaking addict. Even in the galley stage, I’m still editing.

 

8.       Would you ever co-author a book?

I’d like to try it. Writing can be lonely. It would be nice to have another person with you every step of the way. There are times that the plot is hard to see. On the other hand, you might have to fight it out with them over those same steps. Hmm…I guess it’s like any other relationship----it has to be the right person.

 

9.       Where do you find inspiration for your characters?

Everywhere. I think all writers eavesdrop. We observe. We listen. The character comes together like a puzzle.  

Most importantly, I get really invested in my MC. I worry for him. I want him to work out his problems, even when he is to blame. Rafe, for example, from Exposed was a pretty flawed character, but he was aware of his flaws, and that’s why I could forgive him.

I suppose that my concern for my MC inspires me to then create other characters: friends, lovers, family. It grows from there!

 

10. What are you working on?

 

My WIP is about a guidance counselor from a wacky, loving family. He has a lot of sisters, and they drive him crazy, but he loves them too. I enjoy romances with big families. I don’t think I have seen enough of them! The other MC is in the military and needs a family to call his own.

 


Exposed

 After years of running from a traumatic secret, young journalist Rafe Quintero is making his way in the world alone. Now that he’s landed a job at a Miami newspaper, he’s hungry for success. His goal? A blistering exposé on closeted PGA golfer Daniel Andrews. Rafe will stop at nothing to get the scoop—even if it means going undercover on Daniel’s private yacht.

Daniel is used to being in the spotlight, but his reputation for being cold and unfriendly hasn’t made him very popular. Still reeling from his mother’s death and his ex-boyfriend’s engagement, he hides out on his yacht to escape the press hounding his every step. His instant attraction to Rafe, his new crew member, is a problem he can't ignore.

When Rafe and Daniel begin a steamy affair, Rafe knows it’s only a matter of time before Daniel discovers his betrayal. Now he has to choose: confess and hope Daniel can swallow his pride and forgive him, or put his ambition ahead of his heart and follow the story.

 

Available March 1st from Dreamspinner Press.
 
Links:
 
Buy links:
e-book: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=3605
paperback: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=3606
http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=3605
 
http://www.facebook.com/skylar.cates?ref=tn_tnmn
 
Bio:
Skylar M. Cates loves a good romance. She is quite happy to drink some coffee, curl up with a good book, and not move all day. Most days, however, Skylar is chasing after her husband, her kids, and her giant dog, Wasabi.

1 comment: